Victory for Free Speech?
What did the Pastors do to inspire the ICV to take action against them?
Well, they spoke the truth about Islam and quoted (accurately) from the Qu’ran.
Surely you are allowed to state what is in another religion’s theology? Apparently not, not where Islam is concerned.
Notwithstanding their differing views about the merits of the complaint made by the ICV, each of the ICV, Catch The Fire Ministries, Pastor Scot and Pastor Nalliah affirm and recognise the following:
1) the dignity and worth of every human being, irrespective of their religious faith, or the absence of religious faith;
2) the rights of each other, their communities, and all persons, to adhere to and express their own religious beliefs and to conduct their lives consistently with those beliefs;
3) the rights of each other, their communities and all persons, within the limits provided for by law, to robustly debate religion, including the right to criticise the religious belief of another, in a free, open and democratic society;
4) the value of friendship, respect and co-operation between Christians, Muslims and all people of other faiths; and
5) the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act forms part of the law of Victoria to which the rights referred to in paragraph 3 above are subject.
Issued by: Clare O’Dwyer, VCAT Media Liaison
Does that mean we are allowed to tell people what Islam really says rather than repeating the Religion of Peace mantra? If so, it means free speech is the victor and those who try to suppress truth are the vanquished.
Well, the agreement affirms
- that each human being has dignity and worth.
- that everyone can live according to their beliefs.
- that we can robustly debate, even criticise, other religions.
- the value of respect between all people of faith.
- the Act forms part of Victorian law.
Sadly, orthodox Islam does not affirm any of the first 4 beliefs.
Let’s take each in turn.
- The Qu’ran makes is clear that Muslims are superior to others (3:110), and non-Muslims under Sharia must live as second-class subjugated citizens (if they are allowed to live at all!) (9:29)
- Muslims who want to leave Islam cannot live according to their beliefs, as the penalty for apostasy is death . Non-Muslims must either accept Islam, live as dhimmis if People of the Book, or be killed.
- We all know it is dangerous to critcise Islam. Look at the Danish cartoons, Theo van Gogh, the recent violent reactions to the knighting of Salman Rushdie and many other examples - CAIR in America, a Hamas front group to which ICV is linked, has launched several lawsuits against those who speak the truth about Islam. Plus, any honest critique of Islam and what it says is labelled “hate speech” or “Islamophobia”.
- The Qu’ran teaches not to take Jews and Christians as friends and that non-Muslims are the worst of people, so where’s the respect there? 5:51
Well, at last I can agree with something. Yes, the Act does indeed form part of Victorian law, more’s the pity!